- A physical connection is missing
- IP address or firewall error
- Firewall or pop-up blocker
- The proxy configuration is incorrect
- The router must start
Each of these solutions can solve the problem, so you can try again after using one of them. Please check your connection by entering http://192.168.0.1 or HTTP: //192.168.1.1 in the browser address field. This affects the connection of the computer to the router’s administrative screen.
Solution 1 – Fix the physical connection
Most NETGEAR routers have 5 Ethernet ports. One of them is slightly apart from the others. Its function is to connect to the Internet via cable or ADSL. (Some routers allow USB connections.)
You can use other Ethernet ports to connect your router to your computer.
The cables must be tightly connected. When the cable is installed correctly, a slight “click” will be heard.
Solution 2 – Use the correct computer IP address
Windows 2000 to Windows XP
- Select Start> Run and enter cmd. The command window opens.
- Insert release / ipconfig.
- Ipconfig / recovery.
- Close the command window.
Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows Me and Windows NT
- Select Start> Run and enter winipcfg.
- Click Release in the IP configuration window.
- In the IP configuration window, click the Restore button.
- Close the IP configuration window.
Solution 3 – Disable firewalls and pop-up shutters